The Unseen Enemy: Protecting Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

Perhaps, you have already heard about carbon monoxide poisoning. It might not have happened to you are any friend that you know, but understand that this is a serious threat. Don’t fall into the trap that this won’t happen to your household; it is always better to be prepared.

While you may be busy dealing with mortgage brokers and home improvements, you should not overlook the safety of your family. Carbon monoxide is much more harmful than you think, as it is invisible, and it does not have odor or taste.

If you want to protect your family from this threat, there are some things that you need to keep in mind. After all, knowledge always makes the best weapon.

Understanding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is lethal. Because of these properties, it will be hard to detect. And it may get into your house even without you knowing it. Poisoning happens when the gas gets into a person’s bloodstream. The body puts in carbon monoxide in the red blood cells in place of oxygen. As an effect, the tissue may get severely damaged, and it may even cause death.

Possible Sources

Carbon monoxide may sound like an exotic gas, but it is more common than you think. It is inside your home. And mostly, it can be found in your appliances. Pieces of equipment and devices that may bring carbon monoxide include fireplaces, water heaters, furnaces, and boilers. Cooking equipment, such as charcoal grills, ovens, and stoves, may also introduce this lethal gas into your home. Because carbon monoxide is much more common than what others believe it to be, you should quit the mindset that poisoning has a little possibility of happening in your home.

Knowing its Symptoms

Mild symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may resemble symptoms of other conditions, such as common flu. But note poisoning does not usually come with a fever. Moderate exposure to the gars may cause a person to have shortness of breath and feel nauseated. Sudden headaches, dizziness, and fatigue should also be observed. Watch out for more serious symptoms, such as vomiting, unconsciousness, and problematic coordination in the muscles. When these signs are observed, take the person to the hospital immediately.

Protecting Your Home

living room

Now that you have a brief knowledge of carbon monoxide poisoning and its symptoms set up some measures to protect your home. One of the most reliable things to do is by installing carbon monoxide monitors. Your gas dryers and certain appliances should be duly inspected by a professional. While at it, have the professional gauge the risk level at home. It would also be wise to teach your family to spot and determine the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Stay Safe

You may have the impression that you and your family are okay at your home. However, it always pays to be vigilant. It is still worth it to assess your home’s protective features now and then. That’s one of the best ways that will help keep your loved ones safe.

Scroll to Top